Friday, March 25, 2011

faith like a seedling

Today was pretty great. it was long, but still great. lots of great things happened. lots of great conversations happened. i’m not gonna talk about them though... you’ll just have to take my word for it when i say, “it was great!”
But ya know what? 
There was one thing today that stood out as the greatest of them all.





 It was this teeny, tiny little sprout.
no bigger than a pin-head. 









I planted some seeds gathered from a flower last summer. I planted them a long time ago. I faithfully watered and sun-bathed the little cups they were in. I waited and waited. Nothing grew. I gave them one last dousing with water yesterday, and told them “i’m giving you one more shot at this, little guys!” and this afternoon, I went to visit the cups, expecting to find them empty, getting ready to throw them out, and found this itsy bitsy lil guy pushing through the mud.


see how tiny!?

It was funny the amount of happiness that teeny little seedling brought to my heart. It was like a monster-rush of joy. I started talking to it, and smiling like a fool. 
don't ask me how my mind makes these odd connections, but my experience added a new depth to my understanding of these verses:

 “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water.  So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him.”
 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me.”  And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour.
 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not cast it out?”
 So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.  However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.” Matthew 17:14-21


Just because something’s close to invisible, doesn’t mean it can’t pack a powerful punch... especially when God’s in on it. Have faith and wait expectantly. Don't give up when God is at work under the surface, just about to burst through the mud!

i promise you, the seedling's in this cup!

Praying for faith like a mustard seed ~ faith that moves mountains,
Betkany

No comments:

Post a Comment