Monday, November 15, 2010

God- you just can't get away from Him.

Last night I spent the evening discussing Theology’s impact on everyday life with some good friends. 
It is amazing how no matter where you are coming from, 
what you believe (or don’t believe) about God
 impacts EVERY aspect and issue in your life.

You see, whether or not one agrees with this, the truth is that God exists. God is active in lives. God is sovereign over the whole of Creation. And we can’t get away from that. I know, because the Bible says so. (Genesis 1:1, John 1:1-3, 14)
If I don’t acknowledge God, that’s my choice. Absolutely, positively, one-hundred-percent up to me.
 but it doesn’t change His role as God, 
it just makes me unprofitable, useless and in the end, utterly dead.
 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,  in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.  All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. Eph. 2:1-3

However, If I do acknowledge Him as a Relational, Righteous Ruler, then *voila* I have purpose for living, and a Creator who loves me =)
  But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy,  made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.  And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,  in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus... For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.Eph 2:4-7, 10

I like that so much better than the idea of puttering around on earth, trying to make the most of my stay before I’m reincarnated, carried off to some otherworld or just completely end- kaput.
Let’s touch on that “Relational, Righteous Ruler”
God is so perfect. As my pastor reminded us on Sunday morning, He is 
Holy, Holy, Holy! 
And while that’s completely true and all-encompassing, we’re gonna get more specific with these “ 3 R’s”
God Is 
RELATIONAL: involved in our lives
RIGHTEOUS: fair, just
RULER: Sovereign "In charge"

and it's a good thing that He's all three:
Think about it, If God was Relational but not Ruler, we would have no respect for the commands He has given us (which, ironically, are usually for our benefit too, not just His).
If God was Ruler but not Righteous, (don’t have to chew on that one long before you realize) we’d be like several other cultures here on earth, living in fear of a tyrannical god, who might strike us with lightening bolts on a whim. We’d be working so hard in hopes to gratify Him, to keep his anger at bay and his blessing at hand, instead of worshiping Him out of love (which is what our God really asks us to do).
I don’t have to live in fear of my God. I don’t have to live in fear of living. 
IF I’m following God’s ways. 
God makes himself known to us, through His Word and through creation. He is all powerful over my life (Transcendent God) and He is deeply involved in my life (Immanent God).

 So we don’t have to fret about not “knowing how” to follow Him.
My pastor spoke a great sermon this week, so here’s the link if you’re interested in hearing more about the importance of keeping a balanced view of our amazing God.

Theology is woven into absolutely everything, because God and His ways Are a part of every Aspect of life. That’s how God DESIGNED it, how he intended it, and that’s how it’s gonna stay... unless He says otherwise.

There was so much good conversation at Bible Study, (thank you to everyone who’s words I’ve stolen and ideas I’ve used) I wish I could remember it all and sum it up nicely, but I can't and I don’t want to keep you here for hours, anyway, while I go on an on about God’s involvement in life, so I’ll just encourage you to look around yourself and find the evidence that God is involved, that God is just, that God is REAL!
Psalm 99
RULER
1 The LORD reigns, 
   let the nations tremble; 
he sits enthroned between the cherubim, 
   let the earth shake. 
2 Great is the LORD in Zion; 
   he is exalted over all the nations. 
3 Let them praise your great and awesome name— 
   he is holy.
RIGHTEOUS
 4 The King is mighty, he loves justice—
   you have established equity;
in Jacob you have done
   what is just and right.
 
5 Exalt the LORD our God
   and worship at his footstool;
   he is holy.
RELATIONAL
 6 Moses and Aaron were among his priests,
   Samuel was among those who called on his name;
they called on the LORD
   and he answered them.
 
7 He spoke to them from the pillar of cloud;
   they kept his statutes and the decrees he gave them.
 INVOLVED (Immanent)
8 LORD our God,
   you answered them;
you were to Israel a forgiving God,
   though you punished their misdeeds.
ALMIGHTY (Transcendent)
9 Exalt the LORD our God
   and worship at his holy mountain,
   for the LORD our God is holy.


No comments:

Post a Comment