Friday, November 19, 2010

Love is MY Choice

So often we hear the phrase, “Love is a Choice”. It’s a true, thought provoking and convicting idea, especially in today’s culture, when everything seems to be based on feeling and what best serves me.
But here’s what the Bible says about the “My Feelings” method of living: For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. James 3:16
How awful! 
And furthermore, if we are living in the Spirit of God,
We know that we have passed from death to life, because we LOVE each other.” 
Anyone who does not love remains in death.”
1 John 3:14
Love is evidence of our relationship with God and love is evidenced by how we serve one another, and not ourselves. Jesus said, "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:12-13

So not only is love a choice, but it’s a positive MUST, if we have passed from death to eternal life!
When we are not "laying down our lives" for our friends, our own Self grows to consume our vision. Sometimes my own self-vision changes the way I view you, the way I care for you, how I act, think and live. In a bad way, that can absolutely destroy. 
I have a choice to make, and it’s not always (or even often) an easy one.
But just because I struggle with loving, doesn’t mean I’m not saved. It just hinders my usefulness toward others and for God.
“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.” 
1 Cor 13:1-3
It doesn't have to be that way, though. I can add love! 
I want to love. I want to make that choice. 
But how?
I have chosen love 
When I am patient
When I am kind
When I don’t envy or boast.
When I’m not proud.
When I don’t dishonor others. 
When I’m not seeking my own way.
When I am not easily angered. 
When I don’t keep a record of wrongs.
When I don’t delight in evil, but rejoice in truth.
When I always protect
Always trust
Always hope
Always persevere
When these things are evident in my life, I have chosen to love.
Not by my might, nor by my power, but by HIS Spirit living in me.                                   
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7; Zechariah 4:6)
And this is about the growing, the striving, the trusting God. Not about already being there; 100% of these attributes displayed! 
Mainly, because I can’t. None of us can. (but don't get discouraged!!) The Spirit CAN help me do these things (you too!), and do them much, much better than I could myself. It brings so much wonderful change into my life, and the lives around me.
This has to be my choice. To accept the fact that without the Spirit, I will seek my own (evil) way. To accept the Spirit’s help to NOT seek my way, but to lay down my own life. To look outside of my own self, my wants and desires to others, and to God. 
To choose to love others. To imitate Christ’s love.
Love is not just “a” choice.
Love is MY Choice

No comments:

Post a Comment